June 21, 2012

Secret Fishing Hole!


As the title suggests I discovered a secret fishing hole all thanks to kayak fishing. Of course I'm not about to tell you where it is! But, I will share my story in hopes others interested in kayak fishing will be encouraged to take it up and see what they can discover.

On father's day weekend Teg and I took off to a spot we've fished several times before. This time, we set out to head up stream to see what we could discover. While I love kayak fishing, I also really enjoy exploring on my kayak so I was excited to get started. As we paddled from the lake into the river feeding it there were several places that it was so shallow we could barely paddle through. It was awesome!
Determined to see how far we could go, we fought through the shallow spots and found
several places where we thought "there has to be some bass in here". Negative! Undiscouraged we headed on until we came to a small bend in the creek where we fished for about 5 or 10 minutes until I heard a big splash within this fallen tree. I tried and tried but couldn't get a line into where the splash came from without getting hung up in the limbs. And there seemed to be a large pond on the other side of this fallen tree that was so inviting, but the way through seemed to be blocked. Discouraged, I started paddling up stream again when I hear Teg say "I think I can get through". With a roll of my eyes I say "let me know how that goes" and I continue to paddle. Less than a minute later I hear "I'm through, and I think I can cast to that spot". I couldn't turn my kayak fast enough! I love fishing with Teg because he's always willing to try a spot or technique, thanks Teg!

A few minutes later I was on the other side of that fallen tree and within 5 casts I was hooked up on a bass that was towing my kayak all over. It was so fun fighting him while challenged to keep my kayak out of trouble and not letting that bass get snagged around a near by fallen tree. While I did fail to keep the fish from wrapping itself up on a limb, I was able to land him. 20" and felt like about 5lbs. What a bute!

Of course one nice bass does not a secret fishing hole make. But three within minutes? That's the making of a secrete spot! I unfortunately only caught the one fish thanks to my inexperience in my kayak, but Teg landed 3 within about 10 minutes after I landed mine.




Unfortunately we ran out of time and we had to start paddling back. Hey, it was father's day weekend and I had things to do before my dad came over for a cookout. Nevertheless, it was a great time on the water. I can't wait to get back to that spot to see if I can find another big momma to give me a fight!




A great day on the water where no bass boat could ever get...kayak fishing is AWESOME! 

1 comment:

  1. Note: how many of you saw how filthy my kayak was in that picture with me holding that bass! I washed it straight away when I got home, I just didn't want that dirty thing in my garage! Hey, sometimes ya gotta get dirty to get to the best spots.
    I can't wait to get it dirty again in that same fishing hole!

    ReplyDelete