June 4, 2012

Introduction..


I'm MJ and I've been fishing for several years, most recently from a bass boat. I finally made the decision to change to kayak fishing. I plan to document my transition from a beginner at kayak fishing to wherever it takes me. I'll be covering all my experiences, good and bad, and bringing them to you in hopes that you can recreate all of my good times and avoid some of the mistakes I make along the way.

I guess the best place to start is to give you a little background on me and how I came to the decision to make a change from bass boat fishing to kayak fishing.
I grew up in California and Colorado but learned to fish with my dad in the rivers and streams of Colorado.
I started off with spinner baits until my dad blessed me with a nice Orvis combo fly/spin rod. From there I learned to fly fish for Colorado trout in several of the rivers and streams in Northern Colorado. Learning to fly fish in Colorado will certainly teach a young boy patience. Had I not had the excitement or constant action of casting a line with a fly rod, I would certainly have given up and traded my rod in for a Nintendo or something.
Years later I gave up fishing when my mom moved away to California and I entered my high school years. I tinkered with muscle cars and VW's until the time came to go out into the world and work. After several years my brother, dad, and I joined forces again with a small business in Colorado which brought me back to the great state of Colorado but more importantly to fishing!
After many years, a failed business, and a failed marriage I ended up in Georgia married to the most awesome woman a guy to hope to have! Life really turned around at this point! She helped me to buy a used bass boat and I was off fishing the Georgia waters learning to catch bass. I had a great deal of help with this thanks to a close friend, Teg. And wouldn't you know it, after a couple years fishing together on my boat Teg goes off and buys a kayak and the passion for kayak fishing began for us both.

After months of thinking about selling my boat and wondering if I'd regret my decision I finally made the no turning back commitment. I got rid of the bass boat. That's right, I listed my boat on craigslist and within a short period of time was negotiating a trade for my boat. This past weekend I hooked up my boat for the final time and drove to Dallas, Georgia to trade my boat for a new kayak, a paddle, and a shotgun (I also love to hunt!). Nervously I drove home with a kayak in the bed of my truck wondering if I'd made the right decision. Wish me luck!

And so starts my adventure...

No comments:

Post a Comment