June 6, 2012

Scupper what?


As I mentioned in my introduction post, I want to document my experiences as a beginner kayak fisherman through wherever it takes me. Some of my questions and experiences might be pretty embarrassing but I'm going to attempt to bring them all to you just the same. Hopefully it will help others with learning, and save them some embarrassment. With that said let's start!

In my previous post I had a question about scupper plugs. 




What are they?


Why do you need them? 









Why didn't Jackson supply me with as many as I have holes in the bottom of my kayak? This post will be an attempt to help others with answering the above questions.


So let's break down Scupper Plugs in layman terms:
·         A scupper is the holes in the bottom of a sit on top (SOT) kayak.
·         Scuppers drain water that gets in from waves, paddling, etc.
·         Scupper Plugs stop up these holes which allow water to drain out
·         The purpose of scupper Plugs are to keep water from splashing up from them onto you. Generally this happens in rough water.
·         Mostly scupper plugs are used during colder weather when you want to avoid getting wet in your kayak.
·         But an added benefit to scupper plugs can be to assist your kayak in sitting higher in the water while carrying a heavier load. This means you might want to use 2 scuppers because you're a heavier guy or maybe 4. The trick would be to use enough scuppers to keep water from constantly coming in the scupper holes while still leaving a couple open so water can drain when splashed in.


What you really need to know is this: Water IS going to get into your kayak, period. You could duct tape every hole in your kayak and water will still get in when you paddle, when get into your kayak, when landing fish, from waves, or ocean spray, etc. There's just no way to avoid it. What you need to avoid is consistent water coming in from the scupper holes everything else is normal. If this is happening you need to use at least a couple scupper plugs and then test it again to find the right amount needed. But the bottom line is it will be trial and error how many you need based on how rough the water is/conditions and how much weight you're carrying on your kayak that day.

And now you have a basic understanding of scupper plugs from a total beginner! I hope it helps and saves you from having to call your "Teg" to ask what are they are for.

No comments:

Post a Comment