June 5, 2012

Disappointment?


I woke up yesterday with thoughts of hitting the water in my new kayak for the first time and reeling in that big bass. After getting ready for work I went to my Android to take a look at weatherbug for the day's forecast. All at once my heart sank as if someone had punched me in the gut. Anyone who saw the radar and or read the weather report for N. Georgia yesterday knows what I'm talking about. Rain! and a lot of it.




So I decided to go about my day and keep watching the radar in hopes the storm would clear out. Well at about 3 o'clock the skies cleared up and I was txt'ing Teg about hitting that small pond after work. A couple text messages back and forth and my boy Teg didn't let me down. Heck I think he was as excited as I was! Quitting time couldn't get here fast enough as the minutes seemed to drag by until I was finally rushing home to open my new toy!






Like a kid on Christmas morning I tore through the plastic trying to free it from it's plastic incarceration. My imagination went into overdrive with thoughts of the giant bass I'd be able to sneak up on and land in my boat. I dreamt of how I'd be standing from my kayak sight casting to fish who would be completely unaware of my presence. All at once the real world jerked me back to reality with the simple question of, how do I attach this seat to the kayak? I went looking for instructions to no avail. Finally I remembered how I usually like to figure things out on my own and later critique the authors of said instructions. After a couple minutes I had the seat attached and the yak in the back of the truck tied down ready for it's 40 minute ride. I quickly grabbed my usual fishing gear, threw it in the back seat of my truck and I was on the road.

Thankfully I had a Teg with me to help with random novice questions like: Why do I have more holes than scupper plugs? How many should I have? Oh, you mean I probably won't need them...cool! Thanks Teg! Once there Craig gave my boat a quick look over and before you know it we were dragging them down to the water.

We cruised around the pond fishing various places searching for those few bass who wanted their picture taken. Teg in his usual fashion was the first to get one in the boat but I feel it necessary to mention that I was the first one to hook one. Okay, I guess they do only count if you lay hands on'em. But I must say, even though it was almost 9PM before I landed my first bass caught in a kayak in my boat it was an absolute blast. I kept thinking awesome it would be to hook up on a red fish or a striper.



Teg and I are already talking about a weekend trip to Okefenokee to fish with the gators!

 










Disappointment? Not in the least! I had a great time my first time out and the success of catching my first bass from a kayak was just the icing on the cake. 

No comments:

Post a Comment