September 14, 2012

Kayak fishing the Oconee


Fishing for sanity….at this time in life nothing could be more true! So much happening in life for all of us and most of us working harder than ever for less than ever. So fishing, and kayak fishing especially, is such an inexpensive hobby. A pack of $3 Zoom trick worms and you’re all set for a day of fishing! Don’t believe me? Check this out…



Teg and I have done two floats down the Oconee River, a 7 mile stretch each time. During our first trip we expected it to be only a few hours and ended up in trouble with our wives when we got home 8 hours later. The next trip we planned for a full day, had an idea where some of the better spots would be, and had a great time. A full day of fishing and we didn’t get in trouble with the wives…what could be better? I’ll tell you. Teg to my amazement landed large mouth after large mouth and even a what we’re thinking was a striper (small mouth making us think hybrid but had the body a striper) check it out..

What do you think, Hybrid or Striper?




The whole day, 8 hours of fishing, and Teg used one bait…a Zoom Trick worm, white. Yeah, I had green trick worms, pink trick worms, yellow trick worms…but that day they only wanted white....

I’m embarrassed to admit this but I struck out the whole day. A giant goose egg and some serious envy towards Teg landing fish after fish. If only I had known I would have struck out, I could have got you all some seriously good pictures and video just being Teg’s camera man. While that probably would have inflated his ego beyond repair, I think you all would have loved it. It was certainly a day where Teg looked like a pro who had it all figured out! Now, on our previous trip down the Oconee I landed a nice hybrid that has me longing to catch another and excited for another trip down that river...

A great day of fishing, and it came at the cost of a tank of gas and a few Zoom trick worms which are about $3.80 for a 20 pack at Academy Sports. Now be honest, who can’t afford that? And no bass boat fisherman could ever claim such an inexpensive trip like that if he's taking out his boat!


With all that said, I have some advice for you if you decide to make a trip down the Oconee. The Oconee is far from clear and the lighter color baits seem to do better. I normally do well with a pink trick worm or G-tail, but white is a color I will be getting soon after Teg’s success with it!

I’m not sure when the next trip is planned, but for an easy way to keep up with us and maybe come along on our next trip follow us on Twitter and Facebook at:
Facebook
Twitter: @athenskayakfish


No comments:

Post a Comment